The open eir Silver Surfer Awards celebrate older people who have embraced technology in inspiring ways
Go to www.AgeAction.ie for nomination details
Watch Brendan Courtney talking about Silver Surfer Awards here
Nominations are open for the 2018 open eir Silver Surfer Awards run in conjunction with Age Action. The awards recognise the online achievements of older people using technology as well as the volunteers who teach these skills to thousands of older people across Ireland.
The overall aim of the open eir Silver Surfer Awards is to raise awareness among older people of the benefits of getting online and to encourage those who are not online to give it a try by celebrating those older people already showing the way. These awards also highlight the positive impact being online makes to everyday life – whether that’s learning new skills, running a business, staying in touch with family and friends or getting to grips with social media.
The six categories for the 2018 open eir Silver Surfer Awards are:
- The Getting Started IT Award – An older person who is new to technology and has overcome challenges to become an IT user.
- Hobbies on the Net Award – An older person who uses the internet to pursue their passion or hobby, or who uses IT for communication and social networking.
- Golden IT Award – An individual over the age of 80 who uses technology to enhance their life.
- Community Champion IT Award – An older person who uses the internet to benefit their community locally or nationally
- The IT Enthusiast Award – The ‘Give it a Go’ older person who embraces the internet or technology with a sense of fun and adventure.
- IT Tutor(s) of the Year Award – An individual or group who provide voluntary support to older learners.
The closing date for entries is Wednesday, 21st February 2018. Nominations can be made through the Age Action website (www.ageaction.ie). The awards ceremony takes place in eir’s Head Office, 1HSQ, on Tuesday, 17th April 2018.