eir is the principal provider of fixed-line telecommunications services in Ireland with approximately 2.56 million fixed-line telephone access channels in service. Our mobile division includes Meteor and eir mobile, and as at 30 June 2010 had c.1,043,000 customers. Meteor, which was acquired by eir in November 2005, is the third largest mobile operator in Ireland. Turnover for the group was approximately €1.8 billion and EBITDA* was €679 million in the financial year ended 30 June, 2010.
Fixed line services
According to quarterly data published by ComReg, eir had a 67% market share of the Irish fixed-line market in the quarter ended 30 June 2010 based on turnover.
We have the most extensive fixed-line telecommunications network in Ireland in terms of both capacity and geographic reach, and our competitors rely heavily on our infrastructure. As of 30 June, 2010 we had approximately 2.56 million fixed-line access channels in service, of which approximately 1.47 million were PSTN lines and approximately 0.4 million were ISDN channels.
As of 30 June 2010, approximately 0.7 million PSTN lines, which were enabled for simultaneous support of PSTN and ADSL bitstream had been taken up by retail and wholesale customers. We are also the leading internet service provider in Ireland with approximately 545,000 customers, of which 496,000 were broadband customers as of 30 June 2010.
In March 2010 eir launched a suite of Next Generation Broadband (NGB)products which provides customers with up to 8Mb uncongested Broadband as an entry level Broadband service. As at 30 June 2010, 140,000 customers had availed of NGB.
We offer residential and business customers a wide range of retail services and products, including:
- fixed-line voice services: including PSTN and ISDN access; local, national and international voice services; advanced voice services; and Voice over IP (''VoIP'') services:
- fixed-line data services: including domestic and international data transmission services, such as ADSL; leased lines and advanced data packet based services, including Asynchronous Transfer Mode (''ATM''), frame relay and internet protocol (''IP'') services; managed data networking services; hosting and internet access and related information technology services; and
- other services: including customer premises equipment sales; public payphones; sale and monitoring of domestic alarm systems and directory enquiries.
We also offer other authorised operators ("OAOs") wholesale services and products, including:
- interconnect services leased lines; partial private circuits; access to our local connection network via unbundled local loops; and ADSL Bitstream access, which supports broadband access;
- carrier pre-selection, which permits customers to select another OAO as the default carrier for some or all calls, and enhancements to carrier pre-selection, including carrier pre-selection single billing through Wholesale Line Rental (''WLR''), carrier pre-selection agency re-billing and carrier pre-selection single billing through WLR ancillary services, which enable OAOs to provide a fuller range of services.
Meteor is the third largest mobile operator in Ireland in terms of customers. As at 30 June 2010 Meteor (including eir mobile) had approximately 1,043,000 mobile customers, a base which has increased by approximately 2% since 30 June 2009. Our mobile division had a share of approximately 20.4% of the Irish mobile market including mobile broadband, based on number of subscriptions, as at 30 June 2010. This compares with approximately 20.5%, based on number of subscriptions, as at 30 June 2009.
Meteor was incorporated in 1998. It launched GSM services in 2001, GPRS services in 2003 and later introduced EDGE services. Meteor was acquired by eir in November 2005. We acquired the fourth 3G licence in Ireland in March 2007. In March 2009, Meteor launched mobile broadband services, and as at 30 June 2010 the group had won c.42,000 mobile broadband customers.
In September 2010 we launched mobile services under our eir mobile brand, to the Consumer and Small and Medium Enterprise ("SME") markets in order to better target segments of the market that do not feel an affinity with our established Meteor brand.