Our 5 top tips to help you maximise your WiFi speeds
Check out our video below
1. Create some space
- Keep your modem out in the open
- Position it up off the floor, in the centre of your house, to maximise your coverage
- Make sure it’s not hidden away in closed cabinets, behind bookcases or other pieces of furniture
- Also did you know if you turn your modem 90 degrees it can boost the signal!
2. Location, Location, Location
- The further your signal has to travel the slower it will become
- Limit any obstacles that may block the wireless signal between your modem and device
- For the best connection, we recommend you stay within 40 feet of your modem
- Appliances like cordless phones, baby monitors, microwaves, house alarms, and Bluetooth devices can slow down your signal
- If your house has internal concrete walls or foil backed installation your WiFi signal will find it difficult to pass through (WiFi boosters can help)
- Under floor heating or fish tanks can affect your WiFi speed, as WiFi doesn’t travel well through water so make sure to keep your modem away from them
3. Check all devices
- The more devices you have the slower your WiFi can become, as your signal is split between them all.
- Did you know that your WiFi is limited by the slowest device?
- Older devices can slow down the connection of newer ones to their own speed.
4. Protect your WiFi
- Make sure to keep your WiFi password safe, this prevents unwanted users accessing your connection and slowing down your speeds
5. Find the right frequency
- If you want your connection to give you the best range then you need to understand the bands available to you
2.4G vs. 5G
- 2.4G is the most common and most older devices will operate on this band, it is busier than 5G, as there are more connected devices
- It proves better coverage than 5G, as it travels through obstacles more effectively
- 5G will provide faster speeds at closer range, most newer devices will have a 5G option
We hope these top tips help you maximise your connection speeds.
If your still having issues please chat to our Technical support team
WiFi optimisation - top tips video
Check out our video containing the top tips for optimising your WiFi speeds.