Do I need to register my Apple TV for the eir TV app?
eir TV customers will have the eir TV app installed automatically during the Apple TV setup. You don't even need to sign in!
Apple TV Remote Control
The best way to control your Apple TV is with the included Apple TV Remote.
- Microphone for Dictation: This is where the sound is picked up when you use the dictation button
- Touchpad: Move your finger around the touchpad to navigate the on-screen menus. Click anywhere on the touchpad to select the highlighted item
- Menu: Pressing once will bring you to the previous screen. Pressing and holding this button will bring you to the Apple TV Home Screen
- Apple TV App / Home: Pressing once will bring you to the Apple TV app. Double-pressing will bring up your recently used apps to allow you to switch quickly between them
- Dictation: Pressing and holding this will allow you to dictate to the Apple TV as well as the eir TV app. This means you can speak search terms instead of typing them
- Play / Pause: This allows you to Play and Pause content in all supported apps - including the eir TV app
- Volume Up / Down: this allows you to change the volume of the Apple TV. The Apple TV Remote can also be set up to control the volume on some TVs as well
Charging your Apple TV Remote Control
The Apple TV Remote Control will need to be charged occasionally using the lightning cable included with the rest of your Apple TV equipment.
Tips and Tricks for your Apple TV Remote
- When watching a live programme in the eir TV app, swipe down from the top of the touchpad to bring up options for Recording and Replay, Audio, Subtitles and Information
- When watching a live programme in the eir TV app, swipe left or right on the touchpad to quickly change channels
- When watch a live programme in the eir TV app, swipe up on the touchpad to bring up a channel list on the left-hand side
- If you pause a programme or a recording, you can swipe left or right to rewind or fast-forward
- On the search screen in the eir TV app, hold down the Dictate button to use your voice to fill the search term instead of typing it in. Hold down the Dictate button, say what you wish to search for and release the Dictate button
- If the Dictate button doesn't pick up the correct search phrase, press the Dictate button and say 'Clear' to clear the search box
- You can reboot the Apple TV by holding down the Home and Play/Pause buttons together until the Sleep screen appears. Click Sleep to turn off the Apple TV. It can also be turned off by pressing the Home button
- You can put the Apple TV to sleep by holding the Home button until the Sleep screen appears. Click the Sleep option
- Double-tap the Home button to bring up a list of your recently used apps to switch quickly between them
- When typing in text, press the Play/Pause button to capitalise the next character you enter
iOS Remote Control
The Apple TV can also be controlled using an iOS device. You can use an iPhone, an iPad or an iPod touch.
This means you can control your Apple TV - even if you can't find your Apple TV Remote!
This can be done through the iOS Control Centre. Click here for a step-by-step guide.
Other Remote Controls
Other Apps on the Apple TV
You can download extra apps for your Apple TV by visiting the App Store, for more information click here
The Apple TV comes with 32GB of storage, eir TV uses cloud recordings that don't take up any space on your Apple TV leaving you more room for all your apps and games.
For more information on using the Apple TV, click here to read the manual.